Gwangjin will build a green culture city -where people harmonize with nature

The origin of Dong Names

home About Gwangjin The origin of Dong Names

Junggok-dong

The name 'Junggok-dong', as it is located in between Neung-dong and Myeonmok-dong, originated from the chinese character 'jung', which means 'middle'. In Joseon Dynasty, Junggok-dong belonged to Kyunggi-do Yangju-gun Goyangju-myeon. During the reorganization of administrative districts brought by the Gabo Reform of 1894, Junggok-dong was incorporated into the city of Hansung(now known as Seoul) and became northeast Dumobang Jeongotjunggye Hagye Myeonmokri-dong.
Until the early Japanese Colonization, it had been called Kyungseong-bu Dumo-myeon, Jangnae Junggok-ri and its name was changed to Kyunggi-do Goyang-gun Ttukdo-myeon Junggok-ri. When it was incorporated into Seoul in 1949, the name was Seongdong-gu Junggok-ri and it changed its name to Junggok-dong in 1950. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Junggok-dong.

Neung-dong

The name Neung-dong originated from the words Neungmal ․ Neungri, which were used to call Yougangwon, the grave of the queen consort, Soonmyeong, who was the first wife of the King Soonjong. When it was incorporated into Seoul in 1949, it became Goyang-gun Ttukdo-myeon Neungri on April 1st 1914 and Seongdon-gu Neungri. It changed its name to Neung-dong in 1950. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Neung-dong.

Guui-dong

The name Guui-dong originated from the word combination of 'Gu' in Gujeong-dong and 'Ui' in Sanui-dong which were folk villages located in Yangju-gun Goyanju-myeon in Joseon Era. Guui-dong, situated from the foot of Mt. Acha all the way to Han River side, belonged to Kyunggi-do Yangju-gun Goyanju-myeon Gujeong-dong ․ Sanui-dong ․ Yeul-dong in Jeseon Era. It became Goyang-gun Ttukdo-myeon Guui-ri on April 1st 1914 and Seongdong-gu Guui-ri when it was incorporated into Seoul in 1949. It changed its name to Guui-dong in 1950. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Guui-dong.

Gwangjang-dong

The name Gwangjand-dong originated from the word combination of 'Gwang(wide)' in Gwangjin(Gwangnaru) and 'jang(great)' in Jangui-dong. Gwangnaru got its name to refer to a dock on a wide river or a dock heading toward the place called Gwangju. The area of Gwangjan-dong in Jeseon Era was called Kyunggi-do Yangju-gun Goyangju-myeon Jangui-dong. On April 1st 1914, apart from Gwanjin-ri Jangui-dong, part of Sanseon-dong was incorporated into Kyunggi-do Goyang-gun and the whole area was named Ttukdo-myeon Gwangjang-ri. It became Seongdong-gu Gwangjang-dong when it was incorporated into Seoul in 1949. It changed its name to Gwangjan-dong in 1950. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Gwangjang-dong.

Jayang-dong

The name Jayang-dong originated from the sound change of the word from Jamajangri to Jayandong. In the early Joseon Era it was believed that a swift horse would be born in 1,000 horses. Since mares, pronounced 'jama' in Korean, were raised in this area, the area was named Jamajang(mare field). In Joseon Era, Jayang-dong belonged to Kyunggi-do Yangju-gun Goyangju-myeon Jamajang-ri Yeul-dong. On April 1st 1914, Jamajang-ri and part of Yeul-dong were incorporated and the whole area was named Kyunggi-do Ttukdo-myeon Jamajang-ri. In 1936 it changed its name to Jayang-ri, and to Seongdong-gu Jayang-ri in 1949 when it was incorporated into Seoul. In 1950 it was renamed Jayang-dong. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Jayang-dong.

Hwayang-dong

The name Hwayang-dong originated from Hwayangjeong(Hwayang pavilion) which was located at 110-32 in current street number. The area used to be called Hoehyang-ri(return road). It has its name when, in the early Joseon Era, the King Danjong was usurped by his uncle Sejo and his position as a king lowered to Nosangun. While Danjong was going into exile to Yongwol, he stayed in Hwayang for a while and wished to return home(Hoehyang). On April 1st 1914, it changed its name to Kyunggi-do Goyang-gun Ttukdo-myeon Hwayng-ri and to Seongdong-gu Jayang-ri in 1949 when it was incorporated into Seoul. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Hwayang-dong.

Gunja-dong

The name Gunja-dong originated from a legend. A king and his courtiers were traveling and stayed one night somewhere at Dong 2-ro (where Namil farm was located at). On the night the queen consort gave birth to a baby boy. Gunja-dong got its name from a place in which a king's son(Gunja) was born. On April 1st 1914, it became Kyunggi-do Goyang-gun Ttukdo-myeon Gunja-ri and Seongdong-gu Gunja-ri in 1949 when it was incorporated into Seoul. It changed its name to Gunja-dong in 1950. Since the district of Seongdong-gu was divided up into Gwangjin District in 1995, it has maintained its name Gwangjin District Gunja-dong.