HOME > Living in Gwangjin > House > Utilities

Public Utility Charges

  • A real estate lease agreement does not include public utility charges (water, gas, and electricity). (Residents of boarding houses do not pay public utility charges.) Public utility charges are paid one month after actual use. The previous tenant or the landlord must pay utility charges during their use.
  • On the date of your move, calculate the public utility charges you used in your previous residence and pay the charges to the landlord or the real estate agency.
  • If you rent a house, most public utility charges include the usage of the entire house. Therefore, the landlord should divide the public utility charges between all tenants. In addition, you should check if the agreement covers this matter.
  • You can pay public utility charges at a bank or at a post office. (In some cases, you should pay maintenance costs of an apartment complex at a designated bank.)
  • If you fail to pay public utility charges before the due date, you will have to pay late fees. If you pay public utility charges at a bank or at a post office, a teller will stamp your bill and give you a receipt.
  • If you set up an automatic bill payment service, your public utility charges will be automatically paid every month.


  • Recently constructed buildings use gas pipes and gas lines and residents pay gas bills each month. Old buildings without gas lines use LPG or oil heaters and residents should order fuel in person.
  • If you move to a new place, contact the Seoul City Gas Corporation or an LPG company. They will connect/disconnect the main gas lines and check for gas leakage if you pay a fee for gas connection/disconnection.
  • Most Korean houses have a floor heating system (called ondol). The controller is typically located in the main room or the living room.
  • You can control the temperature of the rooms separately using the heater or room valves. Some old apartment buildings have central heating.
  • Korea Gas Safety Corporation Seoul Dongbu Office
    • Location : 6F, Uchang Plaza Apartment, 295, Cheonhodae-ro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul
    • Tel : ☎+82-2-2217-8611
    • Website : http://eseoul.kgs.or.kr/


  • Most buildings use 220V.
  • Most rooms have sockets and a circuit breaker is typically located near the entrance. An electricity bill is issued each month, including TV fees (KRW 2,500).
  • Korea Electric Power Corporation Gwangjin Seongdong Office
    • Location : 13, Majang-ro 27-gil, Seongdong—gu, Seoul
    • Tel : Electricity (☎+82-2-2290-5321), Inquiry for charges (☎+82-2-2290-5251), Inquiry at night (Area code +123)
    • Website: http://home.kepco.co.kr/


  • Typically, a water bill is issued every two months depending on your water usage. (varies depending on residential/commercial areas)
    Although the Korean government guarantees the safety of tap water, many people still prefer boiled or mineral water.
    Dongbu Office of Waterworks, The Office of Waterworks, Seoul Metropolitan Government
    • Location : 13, Gosanja-ro 10-gil, Seongdong-gu, Seoul
    • Tel : ☎+82-2-3146-2600
    • Website: http://arisu.seoul.go.kr/

Maintenance Costs

  • Residents of apartments or studio buildings will receive a monthly maintenance bill from the General Service Office of the building. Maintenance costs include maintenance/repair fees, some public utility charges (elevator, waterworks, and electricity), and wages of security guards and General Services Office staff.